Friday, August 15, 2008

How to afford games when your cash flow is low?

Admit it, as original gaming supporters, sometimes we just dont have enough dough for games that we want. Even though how eager we are to get our hands on the latest games, sometimes it is just not gonna happen because of the rising living cost that makes our already expensive hobby(expensive to me at least) seem like a harder task to accomplish. Also, being a working adult does not make you have more money to burn on games simply because you will have more commitments now.

Duh, the fact that our ringgit Malaysia is weak compared to US dollar doesnt help....I am lucky that I am single now since all my pocket money could go to my personal interest, but i foresee that to change soon enough once I get myself a special mate. It has been hard to keep up with my gaming hobby since it seems like every month there are lots and lots of interesting games that make it to the game shops.

Here is an interesting article letting you know how to budget to finance your expensive gaming hobby(the article itself is quite long but I am sure you wont regret after reading it). Never did the writer realize that when he moans that he is already having troubles coping with the escalating living cost while he is ACTUALLY earning his wage in USD, we here in Malaysia are definitely having harder time when it comes to supporting original gaming in Malaysia. (Sorry but for those who simply dont give a damn to intelectual property and think that supporting original gaming is plain stupid, please stay out of this) However, I do already employ one of the many methods suggested in his article, which is waiting for some games to drop in price or just wait for the used copies to pop up instead of getting them at full retailed price. I guess by doing this, I can get more games at the usual usd35 I would have to pay for a single game. But looking at the rampant piracy NDS scene in Malaysia, practically waiting for used copies is harder than getting myself a brand new copy. Not that I intend to gobble up everything used just because they are cheap as not all of them are good. Duh, now I wish my friend in USA can help out with securing some bargains there(be it getting something when it has price drop or just trying to get some good deals at ebay) but it seems like this is impossible now as she is buzy with her new boyfriend and simply doesnt have time to entertain my request. The only suggestion mentioned in the article that I never(or rarely) use is selling off my already completed games. I always think that by getting rid of things you buy, you might be losing some bucks and it doesnt really worth it. So unless the games are what I think I will never complete it, they will likely remain idly in my cupboard.

So guys, what will you do to support your gaming habit? Please your comments here.

6 comments:

whyeo said...

i agreed, buying "old" games is definitely the way to go.... was planning to blog on tat real soon actually ;P

bidfordun said...

Haha, i kinda wish that i am in singapore now, if not in usa. At least it is easier to get some used games there. I dont really mind used games as long as I am able to support original gaming.

Pure Raver said...

I support piracy!!!

/runs :P

(u noe me, i go crazy. :P)

bidfordun said...

Haha, u are at least better than those who never buy original. Your wii fit is original la.

Pure Raver said...

I bought Wii Fit because it's Wii Fit. And I do support Ori for that matter.

I read the whole article from Mr.Raroo. His ways are clear and concise, everyone in the world can follow it.

So next year, hopefully the 1 game per month policy kicks in well.

bidfordun said...

Hehe, everyone can follow it but does everyone will even bother to follow it? it seems like most of the malaysians have the same attitude when it comes to gaming, which doesnt give a damn of supporting original gaming.