Saturday, August 30, 2008

Birdo? He or she?


Anyone recognizes the character above? Neither did me initially. But the story I am gonna tell below is gonna let you recognize this character immediately next time(that is if you read this post of course). Its initial appearance was at Super Mario Bros.2 usa version and has then proceeded to appear on various games and the recent one is Captain Rainbow.

Captain Rainbow is a recent Wii game that is published by Nintendo, currently available in Japan only. This quirky game features several cameo characters from Nintendo relatively old series like Nes Punch Out and Panel de Pon. I am sure Nintendo hardcore fans will interested to play this game that pays homage to several old characters and they are anticipating this to be ported to USA. Unfortunately, I think this game will have a difficulty trying to get the "For Everyone" ESRB rating and I am not sure how Nintendo is gonna tackle some issues like the one I am gonna tell you guys later.

Ok, back to Birdo again. This is by far a character which has serious confusion regarding its gender. Quoting from Wikipedia, "Birdo's gender has changed throughout various American game versions, but has always been male in Japan. In the original manual for Super Mario Bros. 2, Birdo is referred to as male that believes he is female, and would liked to be called Birdetta. Most later American-localized games, such as the Mario sports titles, which have featured Birdo with a diamond ring, have usually listed Birdo as a female.Recent localizations have avoided the use of any gender pronouns when describing Birdo. In Super Smash Bros Brawl it is said that Birdo is of "indeterminate gender" in its trophy." Really mind numbing and perplexing eh? Then in its(decide to use it since I never know its true gender) recent cameo appearance in Captain Rainbow, there is a mission related to it where you have to prove it is a "she" because it was caught intruding ladies wash room. The next thing is something really shocking. I really dont dare to reveal it here as there are some adult things involved(until now I am still unsure how it can make it into Nintendo published games where all Nintendo games are usually family friendly), so I will just post a link to the discovery here for those who are interested.

So for those who know all the things going on, I guess you will never forget Birdo. I know its name will deeply engraved in my mind from now on, haha.

No comments: